COMBINING EXPERIENCE, COMPASSION AND STRENGTH
San Antonio Child Custody Attorney
Helping You Understand Your Rights as a Parent
Child custody is a delicate matter that can shape your relationship with your child. The legal team at Marvel Law Group will guide you through your child custody disputes and keep you thoroughly informed of your parental rights. The firm’s goal is to lessen the emotional burden a legal case can bring instead of adding to your stress. The staff at Marvel Law Group will communicate straightforwardly with you to explain the entire custody process, and we serve parents in the following areas of child custody:
- Establishing a custody order
- Enforcing visitation
- Building a parenting plan
- Requesting a temporary order
Schedule an initial consultation with Marvel Law Group online to get started. Representing parents in Bexar, Kendall, Guadalupe, Medina, Wilson, and Comal Counties.
Conservatorship and Parenting Plans
Texas law presumes that parents should share managing conservatorship (custody) unless this is not in the child’s best interests, such as if a parent’s decision-making abilities are impaired due to substance abuse.
Parents who share conservatorship should develop a parenting plan that delegates the responsibilities of each parent, including time-sharing, child support, and childcare duties like who will take the children to the doctor. Parents can decide on a plan between themselves, but if they cannot agree on a schedule, the court can issue a “standard possession order.”
If the other parent is not meeting their end of the parenting agreement, such as by withholding the child from you, you have the right to enforce visitation. To do so, you and your attorney may file an enforcement lawsuit that includes:
- the provisions of the order you want to enforce (that is, which terms the other parent has violated);
- how the other parent did not comply with the order; and
- what you are asking the court to do.
The court cannot enforce an order that has not been formally written out or detailed. An experienced custody law firm can help you build a strong petition for enforcement.
The “Best Interests of the Child”
When deciding on the terms of a child custody plan, the Texas Supreme Court laid out in Holley v. Adams , 544 S.W.2d 367 (Tex. 1976) the following factors for the court to decide the best interests of the child:
- the desires of the child;
- the emotional and physical needs of the child now and in the future;
- the emotional and physical danger to the child now and in the future;
- the parental abilities of the individuals seeking custody;
- the programs available to assist these individuals to promote the best interest of the child;
- the plans for the child by these individuals or by the agency seeking custody;
- the stability of the home or proposed placement;
- the acts or omissions of the parent which may indicate that the existing parent-child relationship is not a proper one; and
- any excuse for the acts or omissions of the parent.
Child custody issues can be difficult to handle both because of their emotional weight and because of the legal complexities. Marvel Law Group is a board-certified law firm in Texas handling child custody, and the legal team will take a compassionate and knowledgeable approach to your case.
Contact Marvel Law Group for an initial consultation to get started today.
Love this lawyer she made things so easy in my divorce
“Very professional, responsive and thorough. I have a special needs child/assets as well and she made sure I got the best deal for my daughter and me.”
Karen is a fantastic lawyer and probably one of the top child support experts in the state.
“When she talks, the judges listen. She is someone you want in your corner when a deadbeat parent stops supporting your child.”
Karen Marvel is exactly the type of lawyer you want to have on your team.
“Karen came very highly recommended and I would definitely recommend her to anyone seeking legal help.”
She is very professional and I would highly recommend her to anyone needing legal representation.
“Karen listened to the facts of the case and gave appropriate recommendations that resulted in settling the case and avoiding a long, drawn out court battle.”
We highly recommend her to anyone seeking an experienced, highly efficient, and enjoyable person to work with!
“She provides clear explanations of complicated, often antiquated legal terms, and can advise on how to avoid future legal entanglements.”